In 2015 United Nations adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals, which cover i.a. climate change, biodiversity, clean water, clean air, waste segregation. European Union accepted all Goals, as they are fully compliant with EU policies in particular areas. As part of EU, V4 countries have made efforts to improve their environmental situation. Yet, to meet SDGs, there is a lot of work ahead. As EU data show, there is a striking similarity of challenges our countries face: we all need to improve waste management/recycling, nature protection, air quality. Also, environmental awareness is low, e.g. over ¼ of Poles do not segregate waste, many still do not know how to do it properly. To change that, efforts made by governments must be complemented by eco-education, started as early as possible. Eco-knowledge can help reduce the threat of eco-disasters in our region and globally. Our experience (training and workshops for teachers and kids) shows that kindergartens are now not involved (or only partially) in teaching about sustainable development and that teachers do want to introduce eco-topics to curriculum, but don’t know how, they need instruments, ideas for that. Our Project addresses this need.
- Make children more environmentally aware;
- Teach teachers examples how environmental issues can be explained to kids and what interesting tools can be used to consolidate their knowledge;
- Make adults more aware of environmental problems and actions to mitigate them; encourage adults to discuss environmental issues with children;
- Make people aware that environmental problems have cross-border dimension and that together we can do more;
- Make people aware of Visegrad Group and its cooperation in field of environmental protection and efforts to reach SDGs.
We plan to focus on promoting selected SDGs (6 Clean Water, 11 Sustainable Cities, 12 Responsible Production and Consumption, 13 Climate Change, Life below Water, Life on Land) using comprehensive approach to cover kids and adults alike. With children education through play is the best solution, so we will:
- write a children’s book with stories which explain environmental issues in a simple way;
- prepare audio and e-book;
- organise workshops for children;
- prepare manual based on the book with environmental information, sample lesson plans and activities to strengthen kids’ knowledge;
- conduct trainings for teachers.
Adventures of Tola, Pola and Rascal
mob. +48 609 100 270
Partners of the Project
Kids for Eco-Action Project is co-financed by the Governments of Czechia, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia through Visegrad Grants from International Visegrad Fund. The mission of the fund is to advance ideas for sustainable regional cooperation in Central Europe.